League Rules and Policies
|CITY OF NEWPORT NEWS
DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION
2007 FLAG FOOTBALL
RULES AND REGULATIONS
A. The Newport News Flag Football League will be sponsored by the Newport News Department of Parks and Recreation and will be under the supervision of the Senior Athletic Coordinator, who will be instructed to govern the league by the rules set forth by the City of Newport News and the United States Flag Football Association with the exceptions listed in these regulations.
B. The City will furnish a field supervisor who will be in charge of the field equipment, crowd control, player control (off the playing area), flags, balls, etc. The field supervisor may recommend player suspensions to the league director of problem participants, even if they are not ejected from a game. Only team members and coaches will be allowed inside the rope.
The league will be composed of teams that pay their league fee of $525.00 (cashiers check or money order payable to N.N.A.A.) on September 12, 2007 at 7:00pm at the Warwick Recreation Center. The season will begin the week of September 17, 2007. The game fields are located at Deer Park, Crittenden and the Denbigh Early Childhood Center. Schedules will be ready for pick-up at the Warwick Recreation Center on Friday, September 14, 2006 at 5:00pm.Team rosters are due on September 12, 2007 with league fee.
D. TEAM ROSTERS:
Teams will be allowed a maximum of twenty-two (22) players on their rosters at any one time. Changes to the rosters can be made by calling the Athletic office (591-4892) thirty-six (36) hours before the next scheduled game in order for that player to be eligible. Players may not switch from one team to another after participating in one (1) regular season game. The deadline for adding players to the rosters will be October 5, 2007 at 5:00pm.
1. Jerseys will be required by October 9, 2007. They must be the same color with numbers on the back (recommended). Players will be allowed to change a jersey on the sidelines if they are torn during play, but the game will not be stopped for that purpose. Any team member not in a team jersey will not be allowed on the sidelines inside the rope.
2. SHOES: Must be worn at all times (no barefeet, or sock feet). All forms of metal cleats are illegal. If anyone is caught wearing metal cleats during play, they will be ejected from the game and also serve a one game suspension (the very next game).
1. OFFICIALS: We will utilize three (3) officials per game. However, if only two (2) officials show-up the game will be played as scheduled and will start at the scheduled time.
2. TIMING REGULATIONS: The game will consist of two (2), twenty-five (25) minute halves, running time. The clock will stop on time outs, official time-outs, and for injured player(s). The last two minutes of each half will be official time and played in accordance with National rules.
3. Eight (8) players are required to start a game. Failure to produce eight (8) players at game time will result in a forfeit. Two (2) forfeits by a team will cause that team to be dropped from the league for the remainder of the current season, the league fee WILL NOT be refunded, and the team is not eligible for a trophy. There will be no GRACE PERIOD. Teams must be ready to play at scheduled times.
4. GAME PROCEDURES: Teams will be composed of eight (8) players, all of which are eligible receivers. The ball must be advanced twenty (20) yards to receive a first down. The snap must be made between the snapper's legs. Games will be played on eighty (80) yard fields. Each team will receive three (3) time-outs per half (one minute each). Time-outs cannot be carried over into the second half. Kick-offs will be made from the twenty (20) yard line. NO team members or coaches will be allowed inside the twenty (20) yard line on the sidelines at either end of the field.
5. A coin flip will determine which team will kick-off or receive. Kicking or receiving and field direction will automatically change at the half.
6. No spot passes on kick-off's or punts.
7. A ball that is centered or lateraled becomes dead at the point where it hits the ground, the team in possession will maintain it. All fumbles or muffs will be dead at the point of contact with the ground.
8. No defensive player may jump or leap in order to get the flag. The flag cannot
be obtained if a player is off the ground.
9. Teams can declare kicks before they punt, attempt a field goal, or try for extra points. No one can leave the line of scrimmage until the ball is in the air.
10. If a player is bleeding or has bodily fluids seeping, the player must leave the field. The wound must be cleaned, sealed and covered in some adequate manner before player is permitted to return to the playing field.
If any blood or fluid is on the jersey, shorts, pants, shoes, socks, headbands, tape or any other article worn by the player(s), (injured party or team mate), such article(s) must be changed and/or cleaned before player(s) is permitted to return to the playing field.
No official time-outs will be specifically granted for these actions beyond those normally granted to injured player (s) as provided by the rules.
11. TIE GAMES: Games that end in a tie at the conclusion of regulation time will stand. It will count as a half game won, and a half game lost in the league standings. NO OVERTIME OR SUDDEN DEATH!
G. GAME CANCELLATIONS:
1. If the field is unplayable before five o'clock (5:00pm), notification will be given to coaches if they can be reached. Coaches are requested to call the Warwick Recreation Center office (591-4892) between 4:00pm and 5:00pm to check on the condition of the field.
2. After 5:00pm teams must report to the field where officials will make the decision.
3. If the first game is canceled, the second game will also be canceled.
1. Protest will not be allowed. Staff will not accept verbal complaints. If coaches have a concern, it should be submitted to the league director in writing.
1. FIGHTING will not be tolerated in the Newport News Flag Football League. This rule includes players, coaches, and fans. Entire teams may be suspended from the league for their involvement in fights or riots. The athletic staff will have
the final decision involving suspensions.
2. The coach must have complete control over players at all times. Unsportsmanlike conduct from the players and/or coaches WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. If a player or coach is ejected for any reason they must leave the vicinity of the playing field including the bleachers, concession stand, and parking lot. In other words, he must leave the facility altogether. Any two (2) unsportsmanlike penalties against a coach will mean automatic removal from the game.
3. EJECTIONS: First time ejections from any game for any reason will result in a minimum of one game suspension ( next scheduled gqme). NO APPEALS! Also, participants involved in a second ejection will be suspended for a minimum of two (2) game, and that player will be placed on probation. The third ejection of the same participant will result in that player being expelled from the league for the remainder of the season. NO APPEALS. Anyone ejected for a third (3rd) time will not be eligible for STATE tournament play.
4. The referee, after conferring with his fellow officials, has absolute power to forfeit any contest. This will include, but not be limited to, any repetitive acts of unsportsmanlike conduct or actions, both physically and verbally.
5. The City of Newport News prohibits the use of tobacco or tobacco products on school or recreational facility grounds, including athletic fields, parking lots, and surrounding areas within one hundred (100) yards of any of the above locations.
6. Alcohol is prohibited on school and park grounds (per City ordinance).
J. AWARDS AND NOTES:
1. TROPHIES: Team awards will be presented to the top two (2) teams. If there is a tie for a trophy position a play-off game will be set up by the director. Who beat who during the regular season will have no bearing if teams are tied for a trophy position.
2. The top two (2) teams (possibly more, depending on the number of league entries) will receive an invitation to participate in the Virginia State Tournament. The state tournament date, location and fee will be distributed at a later date.
3. Anything not covered in the VFFA/USFFA or the Newport News Flag Football league rules will be decided upon by the League Director.
4. Teams are responsible for all trash on their sidelines. Please put litter in the trash cans located near the spectator bleachers.
5. Teams are also responsible to put flags back in bags for the field supervisor.
Thanks for your help in this matter.